The Private Joint-Stock Company Mykolaivcement (until 2000 called “Mykolaiv Cement Processing Integrated Works”) is located in the southwestern part of Mykolaiv, Lviv region, near the Lviv-Chop railway artery.
The construction of the plant began in 1940, and 10 years later the first production line with the capacity of 150 kt of cement per year was commissioned. In 1951, the second kiln with integrated equipment is commissioned, thus growing the annual capacity to 450 kt. After launching the third and fourth process lines in 1957, the fifth in 1959 and the sixth in 1961, the plant's production capacity reaches 1,65 Mt of cement per year. At the beginning of 1964, the plant is renamed cement processing integrated works.
In 1974, a technical project is developed to expand the plant by adding two more production lines. In 1983–1985, the seventh and eighth production lines are put into operation. During this period, the plant's production capacity is over 3.1 Mt of cement per year — the highest in its history.
In 1995, the privatisation process begins, as until then the plant has been managed by the State Property Fund on behalf of the government. As a result of the tender for the plant going public, 30% of its shares is acquired by the Ukrainian firm Khorda and 11% by Gradobank. However, these companies invest next to nothing in the plant. Instead, the French company Lafarge, which also participated in the tender in 1995 but did not win it, continues the implementation of its plans concerning the plant. Originally, it acquires a 28% stake from the state, then 14% in the secondary stock market, then more. Thus, Lafarge (LafargeHolcim from 2015) becomes the majority shareholder of the then OJSC Mykolaivcement by acquiring 99.26% of its stock in 1999.
The most significant investment projects implemented at the plant in 1999–2013:
- Organising the plant management structure according to the European model
- Computerising the plant
- Improving the qualification (development) of people, including the English language courses
- Implementing the Health & Safety Management System
- Improving the cement production process, equipment modernisation, in particular:
- building two dispatch terminals for bulk cement
- upgrading the raw mill department by installing the closed crushing cycle
- building Cement Mill No. 9 with a closed grinding cycle
- upgrading Kiln No. 4 (including the construction of a new electrostatic precipitator)
- switching the rotary kilns from natural gas to coal and alternative fuel (used tires) as the main pricess fuels
- technical re-equipment of the electrostatic precipitators of the rotary kilns
- increasing the cement packaging capacity by installing a palletising machine for bagged cement
- Improving the working conditions and amenities for the employees
- Implementing the social responsibility programmes and sponsorship for the town and the district.
In September 2013, PrJSC Mykolaivcement becomes part of the CRH Group (Cement Roadstone Holding), the world leader in building materials.
At the same time, the decision is taken discontinue the outdated energy-intensive wet cement process and switch to the clinker (a semi-finished product for cement manufacture) produced by Podilskiy Cement PJSC, the largest CRH Ukraine's plant, which in 2011 put into operation Europe's largest state-of-the-art dry-process clinker production line worth over 300 m euros.
At present PrJSC Mykolaivcement is the leader on the regional market (Lviv region).
Posted on conditions CC BY 4.0 International